Friday, 5 February 2010
Violence in hockey, how far should it go?
Wednesday’s game between Val-d'Or Foreurs and Rimouski Oceanic a tragedy happened that left a player injured severely. Val-d'Or defenceman Marco Scandella has been suspended from hitting Alexandre Durette in the head and he broke his visor. It was a dirty hit that was unnecessary and he shouldn’t have hit him in the head with his elbow. All Marco had to do was give him a soft hit, hit the puck off or even not use his elbow. Violence like this shouldn’t be accepted in any hockey and I am glad that he has consequences to face. Young players growing up love watching teams in their region play so I know for a fact that if as a young player, you see someone in a high league hit someone like that, they think that it’s acceptable to do it there self’s. For example, I am a referee and have been for many years, I referee kid’s hockey and after then Sean Avery incident, I saw a player stand in front of a goalie and just stand there and look into his eyes and do gestures that were inappropriate. If people hit violently in the juniors, players in minor hockey will do the same thinking it is ok, when IT`S NOT! IT’S NOT PART OF THE GAME! A little contact is acceptable but when someone takes a run like that and the player is defenceless, he should be suspended for a while, knowing that what he did was wrong.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment